The Peter J. Eloranta Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships are awarded each spring to MIT undergraduates who have submitted proposals to conduct novel research or further develop innovative ideas, devices, prototypes, etc. The Eloranta Summer Fellowship Committee makes the award based on its review of submitted proposals. In making awards, the selection committee looks for proposals with a WOW quality: Well-written, Original, and Workable. Each individual fellowship is $7,000 and may be used to cover project materials and services costs, travel, and/or living expenses.
Explore this site to learn more about this exciting opportunity, including proposal guidelines, application dates, and more.
- Fellowship Information Sessions will be held during the 2019-2020 academic year. Attend one of these sessions to learn more about how to craft a winning proposal.
- Thursday, January 23, 2020, 3:00pm, Rm. 3-133
- Thursday, February 6, 2020, 4:00pm, Rm. 3-133
- Wednesday, February 20, 2020, 3:00pm, Rm. 3-133
- Tuesday, March 3, 2020, 4:00pm, Rm. 3-133
- Tuesday, March 17, 2020, 4:00pm, Rm. 3-133
- Summer 2020 Proposal Deadline: Monday, April 20, 2020, 5pm ET
SUMMER 2020 UPDATE:
Given the uncertainty with COVID-19, we do not yet know how the Eloranta Fellowships will be affected and we are closely following MIT’s response to COVID-19. Please note that international and most domestic travel for students remains suspended through May 15. As of now, we are planning on accepting and reviewing all Fellowship applications, with the caveat that we may not be able to support projects in some locations and restrictions may change over the course of the semester and the summer.
Therefore, if you plan to submit an application (deadline: 5pm EST on Monday, April 20th), then we advise you to keep these unprecedented circumstances in mind and consider if you can perform your project remotely if travel and/or in-person contact is not possible.
Please contact Alex Hoyt at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.