The Peter J. Eloranta Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships are awarded each spring to MIT undergraduates who have submitted proposals to conduct novel research or further develop innovative ideas, devices, prototypes, etc. The Eloranta Summer Fellowship Committee makes the award based on its review of submitted proposals. In making awards, the selection committee looks for proposals with a WOW quality: Well-written, Original, and Workable. Each individual fellowship is $7,000 and may be used to cover project materials and services costs, travel, and/or living expenses.
Explore this site to learn more about this exciting opportunity, including proposal guidelines, application dates, and more.
- Fellowship Information Sessions will be held during the 2020-2021 academic year. Sign-up to attend one of our Zoom info sessions (mit.edu address required) to learn more about how to craft a winning proposal. Sign-up: https://forms.gle/RLeGrcts541UivDZ6
- Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 4:00pm ET
- Thursday, February 18, 2021, 3pm ET
- Tuesday, March 2, 2021, 4pm ET
- Thursday, March 11, 2021, 4pm ET
- Summer 2021 Proposal Deadline: Extended - Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 5pm ET
SUMMER 2021 UPDATE, April 7th:
In accordance with MIT's Summer 2021 policies for undergraduate travel and campus acces the Eloranta Fellowships will has adjusted the types of projects that will be considered during Summer 2021. Eloranta will consider resrach projects that take place on-campus in MIT labratories or shop/maker spaces, provided the undergraduate student is residing in the Greater Boston area, participating in COVIDpass, and included in the faculty/labs Plan B spreadhseet for campus density. Eloranta applicants should include a confirmation from MIT faculty that lab space will be allocated to student within lab capacity limitations. Eloranta will not consider projects that require either international or domestic travel, including to off-campus sites, as all undergraduate travel is still suspended.
Please contact Alex Hoyt at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns.
Submit your application proposal and related materials electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.