Skip to content



Research work at a corporation or other commercial entity, even under the supervision of an MIT faculty member, is not eligible for the UROP program.

The following individuals are welcome to participate in UROP at MIT:

  • All registered MIT undergraduates in good academic standing, including transfer students.
  • Cross-registered Wellesley College undergraduates participating through the MIT-Wellesley Exchange Program.
  • Students participating in an official MIT Undergraduate Exchange during their semester(s) as registered undergraduates at MIT.

Those not eligible to participate are:

  • Undergraduates from institutions other than those listed above.
  • MIT students who have officially received a bachelor’s degree, unless they are working toward another bachelor’s degree.
  • Incoming MIT first years during the summer prior to fall enrollment. 
  • MIT students on leave from MIT or required to withdraw from the Institute by the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) who are therefore not actively registered students for the given term(s).

Note: Students on Academic Warning should consider the time commitment in UROP participation.  If you are on Warning, consult your academic advisor before beginning a UROP project.

Restrictions for UROPs in International Locations

Due to international tax and wage regulations, MIT is not able to offer paid UROPs to students that are not physically located in the United States. However, students living abroad may opt for a credit-only UROP. Alternatively, students may choose to do a non-UROP experiential learning opportunity (such as remote teaching, public service, entrepreneurship) paid by stipend.