Off-Campus Projects

ALERT: Please refer to MIT Now for the latest Covid-19-related travel policies.

Most UROP projects are conducted on-campus at MIT, but your UROP research may take you off-campus on occasion, for field-work, conference presentations, or if a clinical UROP.

Off-campus UROPs should fall into one of the following categories:

  1. Research at an MIT-affiliated site: Several UROP research sites have a professional or educational affiliation with MIT. Examples include: Lincoln Laboratories, the Broad Institute, the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and area hospitals (connected to MIT through Health Sciences and Technology and other programs). Students receive direct supervision from MIT-affiliated UROP supervisors.
  2. UROP Fieldwork: UROP projects requiring a certain amount of "fieldwork," can take you out of the state, and in some cases, out of the country. Projects that involve travel must be connected to research affiliated with MIT, and have the endorsement of an approved MIT UROP supervisor. In addition, you should receive daily supervision from an MIT affiliate associated with the project (e.g. a faculty member, post-doctoral associate, or staff member).

It is important to note that research positions (including internships) at facilities with no formal connection to MIT and which lack daily supervision by an MIT staff member or MIT affiliate are not eligible for UROP. Work at a corporation or other commercial entity, even under the supervision of an MIT faculty member, is also not eligible.

Work Related Safety

  • Please speak with your PI/Supervisor about the associated hazards you might encounter in the scope of your project
  • All institutions have Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) training requirements no matter your location. You should receive pertinent training either here at MIT or the host institution. See the MIT EHS website for details on safety training.

International Students and UROP Travel

If you are an international student and the UROP has the potential to take place off-campus, you must inform the International Students Office (ISO) before accepting the UROP. Visit the ISO website or email for more information.