Information for UROP Supervisors and Mentors
The information provided in this section is designed to help you in this role and to provide you with important information on expectations, guidelines, advertising opportunities, and more.
Once You Have Found a Student
- Decide with the student whether they will be compensated through pay or credit, or research as a volunteer.
- Discuss your expectations for the term with them, so that they have a clear understanding of your expectations and project deliverables.
- Be sure the student submits the appropriate UROP application, by the given term deadline, along with a student-authored 1-3 page research proposal, clearly stating the project purpose and describing in detail his/her planned research duties.
- Review and approve your students' UROP applications online. See Online System Help for instructions. By approving your students' UROP applications, you are confirming not only your support for the academic content of the proposal, but also acknowledging that no UROP student is allowed to begin work in the lab until all departmental and Institute chemical hygiene and EHS training requirements have been fulfilled. Please communicate the hazards typically encountered in your laboratory as well as project specific hazards to your UROP students before they begin and be sure they complete all requisite training.
- Evaluate your student(s) at the end of each term. Feedback can be submitted via your Online UROP system homepage or by email to email@example.com.