Goals of UROP—for Students
- Mens et manus/Mind and Hand – UROP helps students develop research skills within specific disciplines, form connections with faculty and other researchers, enhance presentation skills, and have “real-world” experiences that help inform choice of major/minor, graduate study, or career.
- An approved UROP project presumes active and regular communication and oversight between participating undergraduates and their MIT faculty supervisors.
- UROP helps build meaningful connections with faculty, researchers, graduate students, and other undergraduates who share similar research and career interests.
3. Independence and academic maturity
- UROP helps students develop independence and academic maturity throughout their research experiences.
- Some UROP students go on to author papers on research projects in which they are involved in, or are able to develop independent projects