Skip to content

Participation Considerations

Off-Campus Projects

Most UROP projects are conducted on-campus at MIT, but your UROP research may take you off-campus on occasion, for field-work, conference presentations, or if a clinical UROP.

Off-campus UROPs should fall into one of the following categories:

  1. Research at an MIT-affiliated site: Several UROP research sites have a professional or educational affiliation with MIT. Examples include: Lincoln Laboratories, the Broad Institute, the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, and area hospitals (connected to MIT through Health Sciences and Technology and other programs). Students receive direct supervision from MIT-affiliated UROP supervisors.
  2. UROP Fieldwork: UROP projects requiring a certain amount of “fieldwork,” can take you out of the state, and in some cases, out of the country. Projects that involve travel must be connected to research affiliated with MIT, and have the endorsement of an approved MIT UROP supervisor. In addition, you should receive daily supervision from an MIT affiliate associated with the project (e.g. a faculty member, post-doctoral associate, or staff member).

It is important to note that research positions (including internships) at facilities with no formal connection to MIT and which lack daily supervision by an MIT staff member or MIT affiliate are not eligible for UROP. Work at a corporation or other commercial entity, even under the supervision of an MIT faculty member, is also not eligible.

UROP Outside Massachusetts

Students doing paid UROP work in a U.S. state other than Massachusetts should be aware there may be tax implications in that other state for receiving pay while in that state, and should consult the relevant local tax authority for guidance.  

UROP Outside of the United States

For UROP students planning to work remotely in foreign countries, MIT has developed a framework for allowing eligible students to proceed with anticipated work from outside the US. These opportunities are only available for UROP students who are not otherwise expected to be on campus for in-person learning (for example, UROP students during the summer term who are not enrolled in other courses). Please visit the Remote Appointment Guidance page for further information and eligibility criteria.

Work Related Safety

Please speak with your PI/Supervisor about the associated hazards you might encounter in the scope of your project

All institutions have Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) training requirements no matter your location. You should receive pertinent training either here at MIT or the host institution.

See the MIT EHS website for details on safety training.

International Students and UROP Travel

If you are an international student and the UROP has the potential to take place off-campus (including Whitehead and Broad Institutes), you must inform the International Students Office (ISO) before accepting the UROP.

Visit the ISO website or email for more information.

Additional Guidance

No matter where a UROP is conducted, please remember the need to comply with all MIT policies and procedures, as well as any commitments to sponsors or other third parties.  

For helpful guidance, please see: 

  1. This FAQ prepared by Environment, Health & Safety for DLCs planning remote hands-on activities, including these detailed safety and export control guidelines and 
  2. This website on information security protections.