UROP is an integral part of an MIT education and UROP advertisements are listed and viewable to students via the new ELx (Experiential Learning Exchange) portal.
Advertising UROPs via the Experiential Learning (ELX) Portal
If you wish you advertise a UROP, please visit the ELx administrative portal https://elx-admin.mit.edu to post your opportunity. Note: Students hired for UROP positions posted on ELx must also continue to submit separate formal UROP applications through the UROP application system in order to be paid, receive credit, and have the UROP become part of their MIT record.
The ELx portal offers a number of helpful features:
- You can continue to specify that students contact you directly if interested in your project, but the ELx system also allows you to use a basic application template that includes questions about student background and experiences and allows the upload resumes, etc. You can also opt to specify a link to an external application or google form that you may have already developed.
- You are able to select from among pre-populated keywords or enter your own keywords to enable students to filter opportunities by topic areas.
- You may specify the dates your listing will be viewable to students and set an application deadline for those interested in your project.
- You are required to specify projected weekly hours and compensation details.
How to Post Your UROP listing in the New ELx Portal
- Visit https://elx-admin.mit.edu and select Add Opportunity.
- Select your department, lab or center.
- Select whether interested students should apply through the new internal application form or select external application to specify that students should contact you directly if interested, or provide a link to an external application or google form that you have already developed.
- Provide a project title and add an additional tagline or subtitle as desired.
- Select Undergraduate Research (UROPs) from the Theme / Track / Program dropdown or your listing cannot be properly approved and listed for students.
- Select from pre-populated keywords or add your own.
- Specify location – either remote/virtual or provide on-campus location.
- Select the term the position is offered.
- Provide estimated hours per week. Note: in fall and spring students should not work more than 20 hours per week, but for IAP & Summer students can work up to 40 hours per week.
- Provide a date range that you wish your listing to be viewable to students (students will only see your UROP advertised during the specified date range).
- List an application deadline if you want interested students to contact you by a specified date.
- Provide a project overview/description. Please do not use URLs with "http://" or "https://" preferences in your overview as a "Forbidden" error will be thrown. Instead, provide your link without the preface (e.g. web. or www.) or add a link to your project or lab website in the specific Webiste URL field.
- Under requirements, you may list any safety considerations or leave this section blank.
- Under “Student Compensation and Expenses,” please select all options that apply. If offering a paid UROP you must select hourly pay, since UROPs cannot be paid via stipend. For hourly rate and units of credit – you may enter “to be arranged” if these will vary. If indicating an hourly rate above the UROP direct funding rate ($14.25 for 2021-22AY) you are suggesting the studnet will be funded through a sponsored research UROP. If you want a student to apply for direct funding put an hourly range with a floor of $14.25 or list as "to be arranged".
- In the Academics section, student eligibility details and pre-requisites. You can also elect to to target specific class years or majors only, and must specify any pre-requisites for the position in this section.
- Under contact, please be sure to specify the faculty supervisor (by name or Kerberos email). Note that the contact email in this section must be a valid email address (either that of an individual or an email list), no name or other detail can be added to this field.
ELx Posting Tutorial:
If you have any questions or concerns about how to post a UROP listing in the new system, please contact UROP staff at email@example.com.
Note: All submissions must be reviewed and approved by UROP staff prior to being posted live for students. Please be aware that this process may take a few days. You will receive email notification when your listing is actively online.